April 12, 2011

'I reduced my garbage by half'







Hearing this, I got filled with an amazing sense of positivism; almost instantly. We were on our way out for some weekend errands with another family here. And that's when the discussion on my blog came up. My good friend says she has been influenced by my blog and has made a few lifestyle changes as a result. What more could I ask for?

In a senior position with a private bank here, she has been following a particular lifestyle. She is on her toes at the crack of dawn until late evening, meeting her Corporate Sales targets. A networking expert, she is also the VP at a prominent networking organization here. So, weekly meetings there as well. Member at various foundations, she is also mother to two little girls and wife to a young entrepreneur. Time is never at her disposal. So, it was just incidental that she resorted to the convenience mantra as well.

She quit Microwave popcorn for good. She said NO to canned soup. I can imagine how hard it must be for her to take such a decision as her daughter loves these two things! Once she exhausted her disposable plates, she decided not to stock them in the shelves. Purchase of packaged juices got reduced drastically. And am sure the axe fell on many other habits as well. Who said Men are mere creatures of Habit? Will, they name is Man. You decide what will come into your house. You decide what to feed your children and what not to.

Waste not, Want not.
Rather Want not, Waste will be less or rather Nil.

I wish and hope more of us take charge of our lives. Boldly. And not just succumb to the vicious convenience circle. Just like what my good friend did. It calls for courage of conviction and the will to change.

Hearing from my good friend about the small lifestyle changes she has made, I feel encouraged to write more and share my posts with more friends. There are people out there who are willing to listen, to sit up and take notice. There are people who really show the way, like my good friend Alex. There are people who are really harbingers of green thinking. There are good folks who willingly make small lifestyle sacrifices. Better to light a candle than curse the darkness. Just like what these good souls have done! Cheers!

3 comments:

Tharuni Vincent said...

Good one!Its not easy being Green and its not easy making green.Your good friend's tips really gonna change me! My daughter keeps things for recycling,she stores pine cones,pineapple heads and i discourage her telling dont' make house nasty or ganda.Not fair.Thanks Minu ,its a scintillating note!

Sini K Thomas said...

minu,it's really nice hearing from you. it is a great task to become the ambassador of green life though not easy. while my discussions with other research scholars on green economy I have told them how small things become big citing your blog. It is really good listening to you.

Minu Mathew said...

Thanks a ton, Tharuni and Sini. Its indeed humbling to see your notes. Small steps can lead to big changes. Let's keep up the momentum.

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you felt about this post. Please select the name/url option from below. If you have a URL, please enter as well. But with just the name also it works. You may use others like Google account to sign in, but, name is a sure bet.